- Bourne, Thomas. “Rees’ Encyclopedia Article on Cockfighting” Bourne was a Cornish cocker who went by the name “Tommy the Sweep”
- Clarke, Henry P. Rules of the Cock Pit. Indianapolis, Ind., 1900. Internet Archive, http://archive.org/details/rulesofcockpit01clar.
- Dixon, Thomas. A Treatise on the Nature and True Foundation of Breeding Cocks (1744)
- Finsterbusch, C. A. Cock Fighting All over the World. Gaffney, S.C., Grit and Steel, 1929. Internet Archive, http://archive.org/details/cockfightingallo01fins.
- Gilbey, Walter. Sport in the Olden Time. [London] Vinton, 1912. Internet Archive, http://archive.org/details/sportinoldentime00gilbrich.
- Guttmann, Allen. “English Sports Spectators: The Restoration to the Early Nineteenth Century.” Journal of Sport History, vol. 12, no. 2, 1985, pp. 103–125. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/43611494. Accessed 24 Apr. 2021.
- Hans, Luuk. “The History of Cock-Fighting.” Aviculture Europe. http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/14e01a05.pdf. p. 9.
- Harris, John “Life and Letters.” Famous Cornish cocker, mid 19th century England
- James, Ed [from old catalog. The Game Cock: Being a Practical Treatise on Breeding, Rearing, Training, Feeding, Trimming, Mains, Heeling, Spurs, Etc. .. New York, E. James, 1873. Internet Archive, http://archive.org/details/gamecockbeingpra00jame.
- Maginn, William, and George Cruikshank. John Manesty. London, J. Mortimer, 1844. Print.
- Middleton, Iris M. “Cockfighting in Yorkshire During the Early Eighteenth Century.” Northern History, vol. 40, no. 1, Mar. 2003, pp. 129–46. org (Crossref), doi:10.1179/007817203792207942.
- Morrow, Lynn “History They Don ‘t Teach You A Tradition of Cockfighting” White River Valley Historical Quarterly. Volume 35, Number 2 Fall 1995. https://thelibrary.org/lochist/periodicals/wrv/v35/n2/f95d.htm
- Proud, P., and Sketchley, William. The Game Fowl (Old English and Modern) to Which Is Added a Reprint of The Cocker, by W. Sketchley, First Published in 1814. London, The Feathered World, 1903. Internet Archive, http://archive.org/details/cu31924003119744.
- Sketchley, William. “The Cocker.” Nottingham 1814
- Neville, Ralph “Light Come, Light Go”
- Wilson, George. “The Commendation of Cocks and Cock-fighting.” Norfolk (1607)
Joliuson’s Sporting Dictionary
Cocking and its Votaries by S.A.T. 1885
Johhnson’s Sporting Dictionary
Delabarre Blaine’s Encyclopedia of Rural Sport
The Cockpit | Works of Art | RA Collection | Royal Academy of Arts. https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/art-artists/work-of-art/the-cockpit. Accessed 27 Jan. 2021.
Unnamed. “History of Cockfighting KPLC Channel 7 News.” Kplctv.com https://www.kplctv.com/story/1886116/history-of-cockfighting